Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Valentine's Day Part 1

This post is to be considered pre-Valentine's Day since everything in it happened before the big day and, due to a certain someone's secretiveness, I didn't know everything that would happen on Valentine's Day till after it all happened. Anyway, enjoy!

Technically this is totally unconnected to Valentine's Day, but I wanted to share it. Way back in July when we were getting married and all that, my husband ordered me a "queen ring." Well, we never got it. So he got in touch with the person from whom he was ordering it and they were super nice and sent him another one, asking him just to pay for insurance on it this time around. So a few weeks before Valentine's Day I finally got my "queen ring." It fits beautifully and is so lovely! Plus it's from Paris, France. *winks* We rearranged my rings a little after getting it by putting my engagement ring on my wedding finger {pictured - it was originally intended as the wedding band anyway}, putting the queen ring on top of that to keep the loose engagement ring from flying away, and then the loose over-sized wedding ring was taken off because it was kinda bulky and I kept hurting my finger with it and almost losing it. We also found my "princess" ring! Different story. *winks*

Anyway, the weekend before Valentine's Day we stopped by the market on our way to Rollins' Lake {post on that coming soon} and I got a box of yummy chocolates by my favorite company.

They were sooooo good that I'm tempted to ask him to get me some more.

Then, on Tuesday, he made a lunch run and came back with a lovely hand-picked bouquet.

He also tried to hide this in the bathroom but I found it. *evil grin*

Now, back to my lovely bouquet.

There are three lovely carnations {random note: carnations are my mom's favorite flower so we got her three for Valentine's Day when we visited on Monday}. A pink one, a yellow one and a lovely white one.

Now, my sister and I love finding out what flowers mean via the outdated language of flowers. She's working on compiling all that info into a book which I fully intend on buying from her someday. Anyway, she looked up mom's and my flowers' means the other day and the results were hilarious.

Now, in general a carnation means "Fascination, distinction, and love." Pink means, "A woman's love, a mother's love, I'll never forget you, always on my mind." White means, "Sweet and lovely, innocence, pure love, faithfulness." And yellow {the kicker of the night} means, "Rejection, disdain, you have disappointed me." It made us all laugh, I can tell you that much. Btw, a striped carnation like the above pictured one means, "No, refusal, sorry I can't be with you." Another laugh-provoking incident.

In my bouquet he included four lovely red roses, my favorite!

Red roses, in the flower language, mean, "True love."

There is also meaning behind the number of roses given. 

One usually means "I love you" or "Simplicity," etc.

Three represent the couple and their shared love, usually a good first month anniversary gift.
Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint, there isn't a meaning for four roses. A fact my husband found amusing after the yellow carnation incident. *winks*

Later, at the market the other day, we enjoyed the display of lots of flowers available for purchase. Including little potted roses like this striped mini rose.

What really caught our eye was the display of cut roses.

Pink, purple, yellow, single, twenty-five - it was breathtaking!

These yellow ones looked so cute all tightly curled up.

I was rather down that we couldn't afford to buy a bunch more roses. But there will be plenty more occasions to buy flowers and, the best part, Spring is coming!!! That means I can grow all the flowers I want {except for the stupid ones that always die} and pick them and stick them in vases and take lots and lots of pictures and enjoy them so much! Till they die too. And then I can go pick more!!!!! *huge happy face*

No comments:

Post a Comment