Monday, January 13, 2014

Wild Flowers

I love flowers. And I especially love the wildflowers that grow all over my parents' property and backyard. So this past spring {2013}, my husband and I spontaneously decided to go on a nature walk and take pictures of the wildflowers we saw.

Of course, one of the first we came across could be found in a vase in my kitchen. The lovely white dogwood blossoms.

One of the flowers that I've always seen growing on the roadside was found to be growing on my parents' property as well and, I'm delighted to know, are a variety of bleeding heart.

More gorgeous dogwood blossoms.

This tiny little yellow flower only gets about four to six inches tall and grows in little clusters. I still have no idea what it's called, but it's very cute.

Along with this equally small white flower. This white one though, is harder to find sometimes.

These teeny-tiny purple flowers are a very short ground cover and were found in a big bunch all over a stump by the road.


As you can see here.

This white flower is small, maybe only an inch wide, and I believe is a type of berry.


I grew up finding these wild irises in abundance all over my limited roaming territory. They don't last for very long, but they're lovely to see. 

In this arrangement are some Sweet Williams from my garden, a carnation and a bunch of wild pink Sweet Peas. I love picking the sweet peas that bloom all spring and summer around our local area. Sometimes they're white, but generally they're bright pink.

On our nature walk, we found these gorgeous elegant wild lilies that bloom right around the beginning of July for about a week or two.

One of the first flowers to bloom in the spring are the deerbrush bushes; they tend to fade before the first heat of summer - usually early June.

This is a type of wild water lily plant that grows in ponds and shallow pools or streams of water. They smell lovely but are hard to find. This particular one had been dug up by my siblings and stuck in our greenhouse for monitoring. It seemed to like it in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment