Around here, one of first signs of spring is when the dogwoods bloom. There's also a saying that winter isn't over till we get the snow on the dogwoods, but that's for a different post. I personally love it when the dogwoods bloom because I love flowers and after a whole winter without any, the riot of color exploding around me always tickles me pink.
So one day this past spring {2013}, I grabbed our camera phone and took lots of pictures.
One of the fun facts I know about dogwoods is that they're a composite flower. The white petals aren't really petals at all; they're leaves.
The actual flower bit is in the middle where all the tiny little yellow things are.
Interesting, isn't it?
On my parents' property, there are three good sized dogwoods on one side.
This is one of them.
From a distance it looks rather like it snowed, doesn't it?
This is another one. It's bigger but, due to being in the shade, there aren't as many flowers on it.
Still a very beautiful tree though.
And these blooms are shaped just a little bit differently than the other ones, making up for their small number in their beauty.
On a different day, my husband and I went for a walk to check out all the native flowers.
We had a lot of fun spotting the blooming dogwood trees.
I had more fun picking the flowers, though. They last for awhile in water - unless I forget to water them of course.
My husband likes it when I wear flowers in my hair, so one day he brought me one and took my picture. I think it looks lovely.



.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment