Frigid north air dotted with a mass of dark grey storm clouds drifts down, swooping over the state. Suspense is built for hours before finally, he clouds burst and down comes the rain in huge bucketfuls, drenching the streets, sidewalks and yards in minutes. Low clouds break free, swirling the land in mist and drastically reducing visibility to mere feet while driving. Technically, everyone should stay home today with a warm blanket, a healthy dose of hot chocolate near at hand and a good book. But some of us just can't, because we have to work or man the family store or go shopping for those last minute things you should've gotten yesterday. So we bundle up the baby and brave the downpour, secretly enjoying it but eyeing all the other drivers like they're potential bombs about to go off.
Interestingly enough, I really do love rainstorms and don't mind too much being out and about today cause I have to get stuff done and Baby is all bundled up very warmly. My only concern is for Husband out working in the rain {he never listens to me about staying dry} and possible snow overnight. We have plans for Thursday and while a white Thanksgiving sounds nice, it's not what we're hoping for this year. Still, the weather forecasts all say it'll be clear but cold so we'll have a window of opportunity there. I did all the cookie baking yesterday so I just have to do the yams and deviled eggs tomorrow while showering, trying to get Baby clean and figure out our outfits, along with a hundred other things.
I was on a roll with NaNo and was over where I needed to be on Friday. Sadly, over the busy weekend, I dropped back down and am about five thousand words behind where I need to be today. This is really shaping up to be my year to win for awhile and I'm really having to carve out every hundred words and put in a lot of effort. Which is all fine and dandy but I don't have the time to do that right now. Today and tomorrow will be big writing days and then I'll have to recruit my husband to babysit over his holiday weekend so I can get more written and hopefully get back on top and win! I'm only fifteen thousand something away from winning! I can do that easily, right?
I've been updating next year's calendars one by one this week. I take a marker and ink out all the annoying Jewish, Muslim, Canadian and American holidays I don't celebrate and write in everyone's birthdays, anniversaries and such. What they need to make is a custom calendar with fun events like National Jane Austen Day, National Coffee Day {with a reminder to get a free cup of coffee at participating locations}, National Chocolate Day, etc. and not all these other useless things stuck in. It'd be so much easier and nicer. As of today, I only have to get one small stocking stuffer and I will have completed all my Christmas shopping early. Yay me! Next week {translation: pay check}, I will be shipping off the wrapped gifts to out of town relatives and digging out Christmas cards. I don't plan to stick our presents under the tree till Christmas eve since Baby will for sure want to investigate them and see how they all taste, despite her approaching second birthday. She did have a lot of fun helping to wrap her cousins' presents and stick name tags all over them. I plan to use the extra time I've given myself to bake lots and lots of cookies in December and to happily attend all the Christmas parties my husband said we're going to. It'll be quite a nice change, though there's always the chance that I'll end up bored and/or find more presents to get my husband. He was getting annoyed at the growing stack that all have his name on them.
Anyways, did you know it's really tricky and uncomfortable to try writing while sitting in an awkward position because your toddler fell asleep on you and there's nowhere else to put her? It really is and I'm getting hungry to boot! Must shift Baby to Auntie or, you know, try to coax Auntie to bring me yummy snacks. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment