Thursday, November 5, 2015

Challenging NaNoWriMo

Nonfiction is hard and boring and a lot of work. I usually do novels for NaNo but this year {brilliant me}, I decided to do reviews, poems, blog posts and general nonsense since I write that anyway. I figured it'd be easier and I could boost my blog posts which is something I've been meaning to do anyway. But each review is roughly two-three hundred words each and I do about two before I start wandering, wondering what else I could be writing and if I even liked that book as much as I remember cause you know, I haven't read it in a few years and all my recently read books are mostly already reviewed. I woke the other morning with a great idea for a poem but couldn't reach my pen easily and when I rolled over to try again, the baby woke up. Do you know how hard it is to write a poem in bed with a toddler who wants to nurse, snuggle and steal your pen and paper? It's really tricky and when I write poems, I like to write them in silence cause poems don't usually come very easily to me. On top of that, I have two novels to edit and I really don't feel like working on either of them. I'm such a procrastinator sometimes.

I was doing pretty well though. I got five hundred words written on the first, wrote almost three thousand on the second, hit the five thousand mark on the third and then yesterday everything rather fell apart. I had planned to stay home and really ramp up my word count while hoping keeping the baby occupied with her toys in the bedroom. But none of us slept well and I ended up taking a quick trip into town and to visit my mom. Then I had to rush through some dishes and make dinner while Baby whined and tried to get me to hold her. She's not feeling well, poor thing, but I told her she'd be so much more comfortable tucked into bed with the heater on and all her books and stuffed animals nearby. But nope, she didn't want to go for it. So once dinner was done and Daddy was home to babysit, I rather lost my drive to up the word count for yesterday.

But there's hope for today, right? I have internet at the store and my sister to babysit for me all day, so what could go wrong? Well, apparently the insulated store is a lot colder than I remember it being and Baby just wants to be held and nurse. She had a lovely long nap on me {I only got two fingernails trimmed though; another thing on my to-do list} and then started crying when she woke up. Right now she's hanging out in the sun-warmed truck with Auntie and the Kindle so she's happy and I'm free! I wrote two book reviews that were easy since everybody loves classics like Little Women, right? But they were barely three hundred words each and when I started poking around at some other gaps in my Books I've Read List for unreviewed books, all I found was an unpublished review and several books I liked but can't remember enough details about to write a full review.

So book reviews are out for today. Maybe I'll shoot for some music, movie or product reviews? Or possibly actually force myself to dig into those novels I'm supposed to be working on. We'll see, we'll see. I still have tomorrow when I'm home alone with Baby, supposedly housecleaning, and parts of Saturday when Daddy is busy. I'm still in the running, but this is more of a challenge than anticipated, but all he sweeter the victory, don't ya think? *winks*

No comments:

Post a Comment